Amelia's Place

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Muse Gone Haywire

Well, I've had little impetus to write lately, and I think, with the help of my fellow writers, I figured out the cause.

I'm trying to write a story from the perspective of a woman on crack, something I have intimate familiarity with (though I have never used crack, no way no how). The story is something I want to capture for many reasons, but I am too close to it. The writers suggest writing outside this woman's point of view, like, the POV of a friend or even a counselor or something. Giving it thought. The story is also cleanly unlike my typical erotic stuff, which may have something to do with the block. Trying to write something "real", that is, something that captures a myriad of emotions and complexity outside the bedroom doors (or whatever, heh), is a struggle. I'd rather just write the fun stuff. But how can I write good fun stuff without pushing myself? Yeah, I have to finish this one, even if it is really hard.

Not that erotica is always clean or easy or basic, just that I am comfortable writing in that space.

Anyhow, the group promises a write in and there is a deadline, so I have support for my blockage. What an invaluable thing!

BTW, it doesn't help that I have a one year old terrorizing the house as he learns to walk and open every cabinet and eat every stray dog hair. Sigh. Beautiful torment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home